Tools, Craft Supplies, Books, Music

Tools, Craft Supplies, Books, Music
powered by Amazon

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

My Handmade Easter Egg Project-Part 1


Not all of my projects are huge.  Really they aren't.  It just may seem that way to some of you who have been reading about my furniture restorations.  Here is one of my latest small projects.  I had some scrap wood going to waste and I decided to turn my own easter eggs on a lathe.




Some were pretty big, about 4 or 5 inches long.  Others were about the size of a real, medium, chicken egg.  I used a variety of woods, including yellow pine and oak.  There was no rhyme or reason for the types of woods.  It is just what I had available.  I do though love the variances you get in color shades and grain patterns.  The large one shown is pine.  The 2 smaller ones are oak.




Here are a few in an old wooden bowl that I also hand-turned on a lathe.  I have plans to eventually use the bowl for a wood carving project.  I may experiment with some faux finishes on the eggs in a day or 2.  I will let you all know how that goes.  Hope you are all having a great St. Pats Day!

Rory

11 comments:

Susan said...

Hi there Rory....thanks for stopping by and becoming a follower of my blog. I'm going to add myself as a follower to your blog too! How awesome that we now have a blogging go-to guy for our questions. You'll be a big help! Happy Spring and a big hug from Houston.

Rory said...

Susan, You are very welcome. And, thank you for becoming a follower of The Greentiques Solution. Your comment has automatically entered you in my March Oven Rack Pull Giveaway. Please let me know if you have questions about antique restoration or anything else that might be within my areas of expertise. I am always glad to help. Rory

Connie in Hartwood said...

I'm popping over from your Transformation Thursday link. I can tell that this is a place that I'm going to LOVE to hang out.
... Connie

Angie Holden said...

I love those eggs!! I mean seriously love them....

Rory said...

Connie, Glad you found me amongst the gazillions of blogs out there. My particular blog is till less than a month old, so it is constantly evolving every day. Please let me know in the future if you need help with any of your upcoming projects or need me to write a post on a particular "how to" that might be within my area of expertise. Thank you for your kind comment.
Rory

Rory said...

Angie,
I am thrilled that you like them so much. They were a lot of fun making. Each one seems to have it's own shape and personality. Some of them are a little on the crude side, but I kinda prefer 'em that way and I think some of the prim people out there would like them too.
Thank you for your flattering comment.
Rory

Victoria said...

I love the term "Greentiques"...very catchy! Your eggs are fabulous:)

Rory said...

Hi There Victoria, Thank you for stopping by The Greentiques Solution. I am glad you liked my funny little Easter eggs. If the weather is good enough, I may do a faux paint finish on a few of them, so stay tuned. Thank you for your kind comment. Rory

Proper Prim said...

Hello Rory... so happy to see you stopped by... thanks for putting me on your sidebar... I will do the same... love your blog I learn so much from you... I do agree with you as far as why you visit certain ones, I love to learn new things and I always pick up some great tips from your blog... your work is amazing, you are my hero.

Hugs, Deb

Proper Prim said...

forgot to add... I love your eggs, good job... can't wait to see them painted.

Hugs, Deb

Rory said...

Deb, You are too kind. Glad you love my humble little blog so much. It is pretty flattering to have some great followers like yourself with my blog being so new. Have a terrific day! Rory