Tools, Craft Supplies, Books, Music

Tools, Craft Supplies, Books, Music
powered by Amazon

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Rory's Tip of The Week-Lead Based Paint

Many homes built in America prior to 1978 were painted with lead-based paint.  This may include window casements and shutters.  If you are planning on using old window frames for your next prim project, here is a little advice.


Keep sanding to a mininum and wear a protective mask.  The dust is hazardous if breathed in by nose or mouth.



All loose paint chips must be removed.  Small children are especially suceptible to health risks from swallowing lead-based paint chips.



Handling items coated with lead-based paint and then putting your hands near or in your mouth is a concern. 



Whenever I repurpose old window shutters of frames like the ones pictured, I apply a coat of polyurethane or shellac over it, so that there is no lead based paint exposed.  This also solves nearly all of the problems associated with lead-based paint chips falling off onto the floor after it is hung.


Hazards of coming into contact with lead-based paints include, high blood pressure, headaches, nausea, brain damage, and slow growth in children.  Most homes built before 1978 contain it.  Many of us still live in older homes, so there are specific ways to deal with it, according to the United States Evironmental Protection Agency. 


Here is their link for more information.

http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/leadinfo.htm#buy



Please be careful when you suspect that something you are working with is a canidate for lead-based-paint, such as architectural moldings, banister railings and posts, old fencing, metal ceiling tiles, etc. 


Keep up the good work.


Rory



8 comments:

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

Rory how was your "selling" weekend.:) did you knock em dead? what sorts of goodies did you come home with..:) have a great rest of your thursday.:)

Rory-The Greentiques Solution Guy said...

Hi There Cat! Nice to see you again. Lee Ann and I are still recovering from the show. It was not the best of selling weekends, but we did manage to pick up 6 nice chairs at a bargain prices. I will post some pictures of them soon.
Rory

DustyLu said...

Great post! I was wondering about all the chippy furniture I was buying and I have a 2 year old son. Thank you so much for the advice Rory. ~lulu

Dragonfly Treasure said...

Hi!
The mirrors are gorgeous! I am still looking for one, but not sure I could afford the shipping and cost of your exquiste examples. Thanks so much for following over to me and then following. Your blog is awesome! So much eye candy and great tips. I'm following you to now :):)
Have a great weekend!
*hugs*deb

Rory-The Greentiques Solution Guy said...

Thank You Deb, The mirrors are pretty special. I take great pride in the way I do them. One of these days I will have to do a DIY window mirror post. I usually get around $300 for a pair like those. I am not sure what shipping would be. I always cringe when shipping mirrors, but it can be done. Let me know if you have any interest in them. If you do I will check on cost of shipping. Thank you so much for becoming a follower and your kind comments about my work.
Rory

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Great tips Rory. Thanks for the reminder. Chippy is so in but it can also be unsafe!

Thanks for sharing on SNS!
FJ Donna

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Thank you so much for this post and making people aware of lead paint poisoning. My grandson was exposed as an infant just by lead paint being on the door jamb. Each time the door was opened or closed lead dust was put into the air. He has suffered some learning disabilities due to the poisoning. He is a precious 3 year old now and with speech therapy he is catching up with his peers.

Rory-The Greentiques Solution Guy said...

Sherry, You are very welcome. Today's craft and repurposing trends sometimes include old shutters and architectural pieces, that are nearly always coated with lead based paint. Small children like your grandson are especially vulnerable because their immune system is not fully developed. I am glad to hear the little guy is recovering. Glad I could be of help. Feel free to pass this post along, if you feel it would be beneficial.
Rory