Tools, Craft Supplies, Books, Music

Tools, Craft Supplies, Books, Music
powered by Amazon

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Wipe On Furniture Finish-Make It Yourself.

When I need to apply a quick finish that can be wiped on, I make my own.  It has decent durability, requires little or no sanding between coats, and is dry to the touch in 20 minutes or so.  Here is the formula...


1 Part Fast Dry Polyurethane


1 Part Boiled Linseed Oil  (It will say "boiled" on the can when you buy it.  Do not attempt to boil linseed oil on you own!)


1 Part Mineral Spirits


Mix all 3 parts together in a can and shake a minute or so until well mixed.  The mixture will foam a little bit and bubbles will be present, but this is not a problem.


This finish is now ready to apply.  It goes on kinda like a tung oil.  Just wipe it on with a paper towel.  Wait 15-20 minutes and wipe off excess finish.  Apply a second coat right away if you want.  More coats may take a litle longer to dry.  Finish cures completely in about 24 hours.  That's all there is to the application.  Pretty easy. 


I do not use this finish on things that will require a ton of durability like tabletops.  I also do not use it on things that require thick coats.  But, it is great for small projects that you don't want to get out your brush for.  I was using it on one of my hand carved cooking spoons the other day and it was teriffic. 


Tip:  This finish works a lot better if your project is VERY well sanded before you apply it.  On my recent walnut spoon project I sanded it down to 400 grit and it was pretty nice.  You can go with even finer grits and get even better results with this finish. 

I recommend trying it out on some well sanded scrap before you use it on a project, so you can get a feel for it.  Let me know how it goes.



Rory

5 comments:

ClassyChassy said...

Did you have time to make the kitchen keys yet? I'm itching to see what my prize looks like! Is the finish you described today safe to use for anything a person would cook with, or best for decorative items only? You mentioned using it on cooking spoons that you make, and I don't know if those are actually used with food or not.

Rory said...

Classy, I have sent you an email regarding recommended finishes for butcher blocks and food related items. I think it is a great question and I would like to do a feature post on it soon for others who may be interested. Thanks for the question.
Rory

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

Hey Rory, did you send off the spoon yet? just wondering as I just want to be watching for it in the mail..I can't wait to get it..:) have a great wednesday..:)

Rory said...

Hi There Cat! You will be receiving the victorian verision of my oven key to pull your oven rack in and out. I had to make some new ones. I should be putting it in the mail tomorrow. Thank you for being such a great follower.

Rory

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

Thanks Rory..I am so looking forward to getting it...have a great wednesday..
Gina ;)