Tools, Craft Supplies, Books, Music

Tools, Craft Supplies, Books, Music
powered by Amazon

Friday, March 5, 2010

March International Collectibles and Antiques Show - We Made It!

Today is the first day of the Charlotte show and I am posting directly from our booth.  I have not had time to make the rounds yet to visit the other dealers, but I wanted to post a picture of some of the things that we brought this trip.  Shown here is a table we faux finished in shades of turquoise.  The response to it has been terrific!  Everyone that sees it has a different take on what kind of decor style that it fits into.  Some people have called this look "Swedish".  Others have called it "Country French".  And yet others have called it "Beach".  What ever you call it,  it has been a real showstopper today.  We did this finish by doing a base coat of silver over english oak.  We followed the silver with coats of blue and green.  Then we applied streaks of shellac to add more depth of color.  After we achieved the colors we wanted, the entire table was coated with polyurethane to add some lustre and terrific durability.  On top of the table are candlesticks that I hand turned from scratch on a lathe and faux finished.  The bolster pillows on the chair were made from a vintage fox fur coat that we saved from being tossed out.  Inside the pillow stuffing is dried french lavender.  More from the show tomorrrow!

6 comments:

Grover said...

Rory those look great.. I have been considering doing some candle sticks on the lathe.. We can't wait to get down there and see the booth and meet you guys. That table is great. I have a feeling I am going to come back much lighter in the wallet tomorrow. Hoping to find some good hand tools.

Cindy Caraway said...

Wow! I can't even tell you how I covet that dining room set! Fantastic :)
Good luck at the show!

Faye Henry said...

HI RORY..I CLICKED ON THE PIC AND I FELT LIKE I WAS RIGHT IN YOUR BOOTH. EVERYTHING IS BEAUTIFUL:)
I'M SURE I CARRIED THE PILLOW OUT WITH ME. LOL..WHAT A LOVELY IDEA. BEST WISHES FOR THE SHOW.

Rory said...

Thank you all for the comments. It is always very flattering to have someone like my work. Thank you, thank you. More pics are on the way. Have a great day!

-Rory-

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and becoming a follower! Did you enter the giveaway? Not sure that you did. It ends tomorrow. The table is fabulous! I of course was drawn to the candlesticks. :) I made some recently out of old bed posts. But it would be great if I had a lathe and could actually turn them the way I want them.
Good Luck with your blog! It's a lot more work than it seems.
take care!
gail

Rory said...

Thank you Gail. The candlesticks are a lot of fun, and I just finished an order for 200 of them, for a gift show vendor who does booths in Atlanta, Dallas, and New York City. They have been a huge hit for me. My next candlestick venture will be turning some HUGE ones on the lathe. I am thinking maybe 8" in diameter and 2 feet tall.