Friday, March 19, 2010
Today I finished my handmade Easter egg project. Here is a picture of the raw wooden eggs after I was finished turning them on my lathe. If you read the last post you may remember that I made them out of some scrap oak and pine that I had lieing around. They varied quite a bit in size and shape and some I would describe as being pretty crude. But, to me that was fine because I wanted a very prim look. Some of you crafters out there are making some terrific prim bunnies and I wanted eggs that would fit into that decor.
Here are the same eggs, most of which I went ahead and faux finished. The attempt was to get great color with a lot of variations as if some of the colors were ageing and wearing off in places.
I used a special technique I am fond of involving latex flat paint. While the paint is still very wet I take a plant mister and spray the egg to create a washed effect. I then apply a white glaze, followed by some dapples of amber shellac with a paper towel.
A closeup so you can see the detail.
I didn't paint all of them. I wanted some more contrast, so I left a few raw. Hope you enjoyed my little project. Let me know what you think. I would love to see some of your Easter projects as well. Tell me what you are doing.